|Model :||4 1/4 Litre|
|Body Type :||Drophead Coupe|
|Colour :||Black and Grey|
|Trim :||Cognac Leather|
|Technical Data :||Four speed manual gearbox, 6 cylinder in-line engine, 4.25 litres displacement, 4257cc capacity. Servo-assisted brakes.|
During the late 1920s and early 1930s Bentley ran into grave financial trouble and by 1931 Rolls-Royce had stepped in and bought the assets and goodwill of the defunct company and formed a new one, Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd. Rolls-Royce had considered the Bentley marque to be a growing threat to their future success, but following their purchase decided to continue the Bentley name, albeit under their own stewardship, taking the company in an entirely new direction with the creation of the Silent Sports Car or Derby Bentley. In 1933 the new Bentley 3.5 Litre model was released and was an instant success. The combination of effortless power and style met with almost universal praise. It was powered by a developed twin carburettor version of Rolls-Royces own 20/25 model and was installed in a low 126 inch wheelbase chassis that basically remained unaltered until the cessation of production in 1939 due to the outbreak of hostilities. Synchromesh was present on third and fourth gears and the Derbys were fitted with a cross flow cylinder head and superb servo assisted brakes, encapsulating all of the perfection of Rolls-Royce engineering in this small sporting Bentley. Fitting of individual coachwork by approved body builders continued in true Rolls-Royce fashion giving potential buyers a great deal of choice in the look of their new motor car. 1936 saw further improvements with the introduction of the 4.25 Litre model when production of the 3.5 Litre unit ceased. Carroserie Antem of Paris were responsible for coachwork on just three Derby Bentleys, with Chassis No B260GA being their final works and perhaps their best. The stylish drophead coupe coachwork was ordered by Andre Embiricos who then exported the car to the United States in April of 1940. It is understood that he kept the car in his collection until 1945 when selling it to W.A.Wickwire. Full ownership from new to present day is known with the car living in the United States for the vast majority of its life. The longest period of ownership was with Mr Byron White of Rhode Island, who restored the car in the mid 1980s. Chassis No B260GA was purchased in 2004 by Charles Morse of Seattle who instructed McDonald Vintage Restorations to elevate the car back to top concours standard. The invoices present in the history file show the extent of the works carried out, which included a complete chassis overhaul, frame restoration, removal of the coachwork and complete restoration, new paint, trim and a complete mechanical review. The completed car is in excellent condition and should be seen in person to be truly appreciated. Chassis No B260GA comes complete with an extensive history file, tools and handbook. This beautiful motor car is one of the finest pre-war examples we have had the pleasure of offering for sale in recent years and will undoubtedly serve its fortunate next owner very well.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on 020 8847 5447 or by email at email@example.com