Stay up to date with our monthly stocklist & newsletters:

1950 Bentley Mk VI

Year : 1950
Make : Bentley
Model : Mk VI
Coachbuilder : H.J.Mulliner
Price : P.O.A.
Body Type : Saloon
Colour : Green and Black
Trim : Maroon Leather
Condition : Excellent
Technical Data : Four speed manual gearbox, 6 cylinder in line configuration engine, upgraded from 4.25 litres displacement, 4257cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.


Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd made a complete departure from their former policy by announcing in 1946 the introduction of an entirely new Bentley that was factory built throughout. It was fitted with their design of Standard all steel bodywork, finished and furnished at Crewe where Bentley production still continues to this day. The tried and tested six cylinder 4256cc engine was retained, fitted with detachable aluminium alloy cylinder head with inserted valve seats. This was fitted to a frame chassis which was riveted with cruciform centre bracing and a box section pan to support the front suspension components. Lubrication was by a Bijur centralised system, operated by a foot pump situated just to the left of the steering column on right hand drive motor cars. It was advised that this pedal should be depressed once every one hundred miles. The manual gearbox had four forward gears with synchromesh on second, third and fourth gear. Engine capacity was increased to 4566cc in 1951. Despite the relatively high price tag when compared to other luxury cars available immediately after the war, the demand for this motor car was substantial. Sales were of such a brisk nature that customers were soon advised to be patient, with waiting lists for new Bentley Mk VIs becoming ever longer, with lead times stretching to over three years by the early 1950s. Production lasted until 1952 with more than 5,000 chassis finding their way to lucky new owners making it one of Bentleys most successful models ever. The vast majority of Bentley Mk VIs that were produced were fitted with bodies constructed at the factory, but in traditional Rolls-Royce/Bentley fashion, coachbuilt options were available upon request. Chassis No B363EW is one of the coachbuilt Mk VIs produced, built to Design No 7059/C by H.J.Mulliner at their works in Chiswick west London. It is one of one hundred and twenty five cars bodied in this style by H.J.Mulliner. It was originally supplied by Jack Barclay Ltd to its first owner, Mr William Lount of Albastine Co Ltd in London, delivered to him on the 19th of January 1950, finished in dark maroon with a beige leather interior. Mr Lount owned the car until 1955 when he sold it to Mr R J Gatesby who also lived in London. It was purchased by Mr D Oates of Sutton in 1966 and remained in the hands of British based collectors/enthusiasts until the early 1990s when it left the UK for the first time and became part of a collection in Switzerland, where it has resided ever since until recently returning to London. It was cosmetically restored to a very high standard by Walter Kong in Basel Switzerland in the 1990s and still presents beautifully in every respect, now finished in dark green over black with a maroon leather interior and matching carpets. Chassis No B363EW has also recently undergone significant mechanical works including an engine overhaul and attention to the brakes. Stylishly finished with rear wheel semi spats and a Hooper style rear quarter light window, it would perhaps be difficult to find a more elegant saloon style Bentley on the Mk VI chassis. Chassis No B363EW is complete with copies of the original chassis cards, its original handbook, is fitted with a sunroof and also picnic tables in the rear of the car. This very attractive car is still in excellent condition following a high quality restoration in the 1990s and in our opinion will certainly serve its next owner well. (Please note that this vehicle is currently Swiss registered. Importation back into the European Union would require a 5% tax to be paid on the sale price)

If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on 020 8847 5447 or by email at