|Model :||S1 Continental|
|Body Type :||Highline Fastback|
|Colour :||Sage over Smoke Green|
|Trim :||Beige Leather|
|Condition :||Good condition|
|Technical Data :||Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 6 cylinder in-line configuration engine, 4.9 litres displacement, 4887cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.|
The success of the R Type Continental between 1952 and 1955 lead to the creation of the S1 Continental chassis, which was released in April of 1955. For the first time Bentley enthusiasts had a greater choice of coachwork designs to choose from with H.J. Mulliner and Park Ward responsible for bodying the majority of the S1 Continentals produced. One of the most popular designs was the fastback coachwork by H.J. Mulliner, built to design number 7400. It was modified to fit the 3 inch longer S1 Continental chassis and in styling terms was adapted further from the R Type Continental with a raised front wingline and less bulbous rear wings with a higher line which were finished with stylish new swage lines. One hundred and nineteen bodies were built by H.J.Mulliner between 1955 and 1957 to Design No 7400, which was then followed by Design No 7466, a modified Fastback design which is sometime referred to as the “high line” option. It was sparingly produced with just sixteen cars produced in right hand drive to this design by H.J.Mulliner, with a further four cars built in left hand drive. Design No 7466 differentiated itself from Design No 7400 with re-positioned front side lights, which were relocated on top of the wings, lipped wheel arches and a repositioned fuel filler cap. The finished result was yet another triumph for the H.J.Mulliner design team. This particular car, Chassis No BC41DJ is one of the sixteen cars built in right hand drive. It was completed in January 1958, originally finished in black with a beige leather interior. It was supplied by Grosvenor Motors Ltd of Johannesburg South Africa to its first owner, Mr R.E. Hunt of Johannesburg. It was shipped on the Pretoria Castle from Southampton to Johannesburg via the port of Durban. It is understood that the car was a gift for Mr Hunts wife. Just a few years later, the car is understood to have returned to London where it was owned by a Mr Herzov in west London from 1965. Chassis No BC41DJ then found its way to the United States in the 1980s where it was owned by Mr David Kent who lived in both California and Oregon where he is understood to have used the car. In 1988 Mr Kent relocated to London and brought BC41DJ with him, taking residence in Cadogan Square in London. Since then the car lived in the London area, maintained by noted Bentley specialists Hillier Hill. It is complete with all of its small and large tools, plus its handbook. Opportunities to purchase a 7466 S1 Continental Fastback are few and far between and we are delighted to be able to offer this rare and handsome car for sale at this time.
If you would like to make an enquiry about this vehicle, please contact us by phone on 020 8847 5447 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org